SPAIN CLAIM WOMEN’S WORLD CUP FINAL AT STADIUM AUSTRALIA, SYDNEY
* RESULT: Spain beat England 1-0 in front of 74,784 fans.
* KEY MOMENT: Lucy Bronze’s jinking run in the 29th minute that allowed Spain to turn the ball over and switch play to the position where the England defender ought to have been standing. Mariona Caldentey relayed the ball to Olga Carmona who buried the ball home.
* PLAYER OF THE MATCH: Aitana Bonmati – Spain’s 25-year-old midfielder pulled all the strings as they strutted to victory against the English. Following up from her success at club level, Bonamati won the Golden Ball award for player of the tournament.
* STAT THAT MATTERS: Spain attacking whizz Salma Paralluelo became the first player to win the Women’s World Cup at senior, U20 and U17 levels. Paralluelo, 19, was named the young player of the tournament.
* QUOTE: “You can’t give the ball away in that area of the pitch and they overloaded us down that side. It’s a great finish but it comes from that mistake” – Former England defender Alex Scott, tells the BBC that Lucy Bronze’s error that led to Spain’s only goal was the difference.
* WHAT’S NEXT: Spain coach Jorge Vilda may well sail off into the sunset. He has survived a mutiny to helped his team win their first-ever Women’s World Cup, what more is there left to achieve? England boss Sarina Wiegman will undoubtedly be linked to the vacant USA job. Both sides are back in action in less than a month’s time for the Nations League.
- SportsSeptember 30, 2023Nevin seeks to build on her promise with Leicester City – FTBL | The home of football in Australia – The Women’s Game
- Women's RightsSeptember 30, 2023Experts back decriminalization as the best means to enhance sex workers’ rights
- World NewsSeptember 30, 2023What risks do China’s shadow banks pose to the economy? | Business and Economy
- LifestyleSeptember 30, 2023Costco has begun selling gold bars